Today it is almost impossible to keep children away from television, news and negative comments from people.
It is true that there is no way to prevent this from happening. however, there is a tool that can help them feel confident in the midst of a society full of conflicts.
For those who believe in God, prayer represents that powerful tool that teaches children to have confidence and believe that there is a superior being.
When children are taught that there is a loving God who cares for them, it is easier for them to find refuge through prayer.
There is no sport, no dance classes, or any other activity that can influence both a child’s life and prayer.
Five steps you can use to teach your children to pray
- You should not use very elaborate words, on the contrary you should show confidence when talking to God, so the child will feel secure, Hebrews 4:16.
2. Whe starting to talk to God, say “Father” is very important as it creates a bond of parenthood and the child understands that God is not only his friend but also his father, Matthew 6:9.
3. Give thanks for all things, since thanksgiving will teach the child to value everything he receives from the hand of God, Ephesians 5:20.
4. Present the requests, believing that God is the one who provides and supplies everything necessary, Psalm 24:1.
5. To end the sentence, theach them to say: “In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen” (John 14:13-14).
There are several prayer motives that you can show to children:
Prayer for protection: Children are the most vulnerable to any event, so it is good to teach them a prayer of protection; This can be done before going to sleep or when getting up.
Prayer for needs: It is vitally important to teach them to pray for the needs of those around them (family, friends and loved ones); This constitutes an act of love for others.
Prayer to resist temptation: You can pray this prayer in a simple way, asking God to help them to tell always the truth.
And above all things the parents must remember that the word of God says: “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”, Proverbs 22:6.