The Big Apple marked an important turning point in its battle against the covid-19 pandemic, with no new deaths confirmed for the first time since March 12.
The city was once the epicenter of the outbreak in the United States, with between 500 and 800 New Yorkers dying each day at its peak in April.
“In the face of extraordinary challenges, New Yorkers have gone above and beyond to keep each other safe throughout the crisis,” said City Hall spokeswoman Avery Cohen.
“With hope on the horizon, we will continue to do everything we can to reopen safely without losing sight of the progress we’ve made,” Cohen said.
There were no additional deaths between Tuesday and Wednesday, according to data from the city’s Health Department that are reported to be 24 hours late.
During the same period earlier this week, the city saw only three likely deaths of people who never tested positive for the virus but showed telltale symptoms. Those probable deaths could be reclassified as confirmed deaths in the next few days, Cohen said.
The current number of deaths from Covid-19 in the city is 21,752 including 16,992 confirmed deaths and 4,760 probable deaths.
New York City will finally begin reopening on June 8, marking the end of a 11-week lockdown.
Phase one will see non-essential stores open for curbside collection, and the resumption of non-essential construction and manufacturing.
This will allow about 400,000 people to return to work.
Mayor Bill de Blasio said restaurants in the city could begin reopening in early July when Phase Two begins.
But Governor Andrew Cuomo warned that New Yorkers will face a “new normal” and that “reopening does not mean going back to the past.”
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) June 3, 2020